The Outlandish Companion (Through the Stones in the UK) is a guide to the first four novels of the Outlander Series. It contains synopses, character guides and other notes and information. It also includes never before published excerpts.
The Outlandish Companion contains:
- A complete listing of the characters in all first four novels, including extensively researched family trees and genealogical notes.
- Professionally cast horoscopes for Jamie and Claire.
- A comprehensive glossary and pronunciation guide to Gaelic terms and usage.
- The fully explicated Gabaldon Theory of Time Travel
- Frequently asked questions to the author and her (sometimes surprising) answers.
- An annotated bibliography
- Tips, personal stories - even a recipe.
- Essays about medicine and magic in the eighteenth century, researching historical fiction, and more
Revised and Updated Edition
In January 2015, Diana Gabaldon announced that a revised and updated edition of the original Companion would be released on March 31, 2015. The new edition will include most of the original content, though obsolete material will be replaced with new content, such as sections called, "Book to Film: How we Got from There to Here" and "A Brief Account of My Career as a TV Actor". The new sections on the television adaptation will include previously unreleased photographs from STARZ.
- Diana Gabaldon's Official Facebook page – accessed 20 January 2015