|This article is about the Season Two episode. You may be looking for the battle.|
Trusting in Claire's knowledge of "history," Jamie leads the Jacobite army into a critical battle with British opposition near the town of Preston. Meanwhile, Claire attends to the dead and dying, a reminder of the truest costs of war.
Jamie needs to bypass a swamp to lead the Jacobite army to win over the British army in a critical battle. Benefiting from her experience as a combat nurse during WWII, Claire tends to wounded and dying warriors.
- Jamie’s coat was originally owned by his father, Brian Fraser. Brian was wearing the coat in Episode 112, just before his death.
- Jamie and Claire's barn from Episode 209 was turned into Claire's field hospital for the Battle of Prestonpans.
- All of the weapons in the Outlander armory are museum standard replicas, meaning they're historically accurate and only manufactured using authentic materials.
- To control the levels of fog and mist used in the Battle of Prestonpans, the scenes were filmed inside a tent.
- One of the officers says the Scots are not afraid of "shot nor shell." The British artillery shell was not developed until 1784, when a young Artillery officer named Henry Shrapnel began work on it. It was not used until 1787. The term "shrapnel" for the fragments resulting from shells, bombs and grenades was a result of his invention. However, mortar shells, or bomb-shells, were in use well before then.
- "Down Among the Dead Men" is sung after the battle.