The Murray Family as it exists in the Outlander series.
Ian Alastair Robert MacLeod Murray was born to Mr. and Mrs. John Murray in May 1720. He had one sister. "Auld John" Murray worked as factor of the estate of Broch Tuarach for Brian Fraser. Ian grew up in a farmhouse near the Frasers' home, and was best friends with Brian's son, Jamie Fraser. In 1740, Ian married Jamie's sister, Jenny, and they had their first child, James, the following year.
- For more of the Fraser family, see Fraser of Lovat.
- Angus Walter Edwin Murray Lyle (also known as "Wally") is the biological son of Geordie Carmichael, brother of Paul Lyle. Geordie raped Maggie, who never told her husband what happened.
- In An Echo in the Bone, Ian meets Emily's five-year-old son, who is nicknamed Digger. Digger tells Ian that Tewaktenyonh told Digger that he was the son of Ian's spirit. After Emily offers Ian the honor of naming her daughter, Ian instead chooses to name her son: Swiftest of Lizards. It remains ambiguous whether Swiftest of Lizards is Ian's biological son, or Tewaktenyonh only meant that the child is Ian's son by the Mohawk way of thinking – that is, a man's spirit must overcome a woman's to conceive a child.
|Old John Murray||Unnamed wife|
|Ian Murray†||Jenny Fraser|
|James Fraser Murray |
|Margaret Ellen Murray ("Maggie")||Paul Lyle|
|Angus Walter Edwin Murray ("Wally")||Anthony Brian Montgomery||Angelica|
|Katherine Mary Murray |
|George Silvers ("Geordie")|
|Janet Ellen Murray|
|Michael Murray||Lilliane ("Lillie")†|
|Caitlin Maisri Murray†|
|Ian Fraser Murray |
|Works With Her Hands (Emily)|
- "An Outlander Family Tree" – Originally published in the end papers of Written in My Own Heart's Blood. Also published in The Outlandish Companion, Vol. II.
- ↑ Ian's father is named William in Outlander, and John in subsequent books in the series.
- ↑ Gabaldon, Diana. "ECHO: Chapters 38-41." MSG: 65278.39. Diana Gabaldon. Books and Writers Community. Compuserve. Published 29 September 2009. Accessed 29 November 2017.
- ↑ Gabaldon, Diana. "More ECHO questions." MSG: 66832.106. Diana Gabaldon. Books and Writers Community. Compuserve. Published 9 April 2010. Accessed 29 November 2017.