|“||Two years or fifty, a Fraser was a Fraser, and no rock was more stubborn.||”|
The Frasers of Lovat were and are a real clan in the Scottish Highlands. The main focus in the Outlander series is a fictional branch of that family, grafted onto the real Frasers by way of Brian Fraser, a fictional bastard of Simon Fraser, Lord Lovat.
Frasers of Lovat Family Tree
This is the Fraser family tree according to the Outlander Series.
- Brian Fraser, son of Simon and Davina, was a bastard.
- Alexander Fraser, son of Simon and Kate, was a bastard. He became Abbot of the Abbey of Ste. Anne de Beaupré in Northern France.
- For Ellen MacKenzie's family tree, see MacKenzie of Leoch.
- For the children of Janet Fraser Murray, see Murray Family.
- Jamie Fraser had a one-night stand with Geneva Dunsany, which resulted in their son, William. The child's true parentage was covered up and he inherited the titles of Geneva and her husband Ludovic Ransom, the Eighth Earl of Ellesmere.
- For more about Fergus Fraser, see Jamie Fraser's family tree.
- For more information about Roger MacKenzie's family history, see Roger Wakefield MacKenzie's Family Tree.
Jamie Fraser's Family Tree
This family tree highlights Jamie's relationships to his children, both biological and adopted, and their mothers.
- Jamie was married to Claire Fraser and Laoghaire MacKenzie, but not Geneva Dunsany.
- Jamie's marriage to Laoghaire was conducted under the assumption that he would never see Claire again. Upon Claire's return, his marriage to Laoghaire is declared invalid.
- Marsali and Joan are Laoghaire's daughters from a previous marriage.
- Even after his marriage to Laoghaire is over, Jamie considers Marsali and Joan his step-daughters and provides a dowry for each of them.
- Jamie had a one-night stand with Geneva Dunsany after she blackmailed him into bedding her, just days before her wedding to a much older man.
- Fergus, formerly known as Claudel, was a French child pickpocket when Jamie found him and informally adopted him. Jamie considered him a son before Fergus's marriage to Marsali, hence why they take the family name Fraser, though none of their children are directly related to the Frasers of Lovat.
- In summary:
- Jamie's biological children are Faith, Brianna, and William.
- Jamie's adopted children/step-children are Fergus, Marsali, and Joan.
- "Strawberry" in French is fraise (feminine), and its pronunciation is close to that of Fraser. The strawberry plant, used in the coat of arms of the Fraser Clan of the Scottish Lowlands as well as in the Frasers of Lovat in the Highlands, is called a fraisier.
- The Fraser motto, "Je suis prest" uses an ancient spelling. In today's French spelling, the "s" has disappeared and an circumflex is on top of the "e" ("je suis prêt")
- "An Outlander Family Tree" – Originally published in the end papers of Written in My Own Heart's Blood. Also published in The Outlandish Companion, Vol. II.