Félicité is born in May 1772, when her parents are living on Fraser's Ridge. She is only about a year and a half younger than her sister Joan, and the pair are referred to by their grandfather as the "Hell-Kittens."
Events of the Novels
A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Félicité spends the first few years of her life on the Ridge, where she is close to her grandparents. In 1773, her uncle Roger MacKenzie gives her a hand-carved toy car, though she and the other children refer to as a "vroom."
An Echo in the Bone
In 1777, Félicité and her family move to Philadelphia, where they live above the printshop on Market Street. She and her sister occasionally "help" their grandmother with medical-related tasks.
Written in My Own Heart's Blood
In September 1778, a fire spread throughout the printshop and it burned to the ground, Joan and her sister were present for Henri-Christian's fall and devastated by his death.
She is an excellent speller, mostly because she and Joan have been playing with the discarded lead type since they were toddlers. She's a deep sleeper, who is one of the last to wake up when the Philadelphia printshop catches fire.
- Félicité is the French form of Felicitas, a late Latin name which meant "good luck, fortune".
- Fraser may be derived from Fredarius, Fresel or Freseau. Another suggestion is that the Frasers were a tribe in Roman Gaul, whose badge was a strawberry plant.
- Age as of the end of Written in My Own Heart's Blood.
- An Echo in the Bone, chapter 18. Claire mentally notes Jamie refers to his granddaughters Joan and Félicité as the "hell-kittens".
- Although they are not related by blood, Félicité's relationship with Jamie and Claire has been that of a typical granddaughter for her entire life. Qualifiers having to do with adoption or stepfamily are sometimes used in reference to Fergus and Marsali's relationships to Jamie and Claire, but never Félicité's relationship to them.
- Non-biological. Jenny was a foster mother to Fergus, and considers her relationship with Félicité to be that of grandmother/granddaughter.
- A Breath of Snow and Ashes, chapter 38.
- A Breath of Snow and Ashes, chapter 64.
- A Breath of Snow and Ashes, chapter 27.
- An Echo in the Bone, chapter 27.
- Behind the Name: Félicité. Accessed 27 May 2016.
- Behind the Name: Felicitas. Accessed 27 May 2016.
- Way, George and Squire, Romily. Collins Scottish Clan & Family Encyclopedia. (Foreword by The Rt Hon. The Earl of Elgin KT, Convenor, The Standing Council of Scottish Chiefs). Published in 1994. Pages 142 - 143.