Edenton is a coastal town in North Carolina. It was the first permanent European settlement in North Carolina.
Edenton was first settled in the mid-17th century. Originally named Queen Anne's Creek, it was renamed Edenton in 1722 after North Carolina colonial governor Charles Eden. During the American revolution, it was a hotbed of revolutionary activity, most notably the Edenton Tea Party, a boycott organized in 1774 by local Edenton women. Today, Edenton remains the county seat of Chowan County and is home to 5,000 residents.
Roger travels to Edenton to be ordained as a protestant minister.
- Grannie Bacon - an elderly woman who attended the Gathering at Mount Helicon
- Polly Bacon - mother of Eglantine and Pansy
- Pansy Bacon - a round-faced towheaded 7-year-old girl who attends the Gathering.
- Eglantine Bacon - Pansy's younger sister.
- Phillip Wylie - a prominent businessman and frequent irritant of Claire.
- Mr. Butler - a slaver and smuggler.
- Samuel Cornell - a Carolina merchant and member of the Governor’s Royal Council.
- Walter Priestly - a prominent local merchant with multiple warehouses in the colonies.
- Reverend Jay McMillan - a local Protestant minister living in Edenton with his wife and three daughters
- Samuel Iredell - a prominent rebel leader.
- Gilbert Butler - a local smuggler
- William Lyons - a local smuggler
- Manfred McGillivray - the prodigal son of the Ute and Robin McGillivray.
- Hepzibah - a former prostitute and Manfred's wife.