Reverend David Caldwell is a Presbyterian minister.
Reverend David Caldwell studied at the University of Glasgow.
Events of the NovelsEdit
When Roger decides to become a minister, Reverend Caldwell conducts his formal examination and gives Roger reading materials prior to his ordination. When he runs into Roger months later, he tells Roger that there will be a Presbytery convened in Edenton, giving Roger a chance to be formally ordained.
Caldwell also rants at length about the tyrannical colonial powers. In passionate language, he laments to Roger that most in the colony are too apathetic to care about throwing off "the self-made chains of slavery."
He is a friendly and genial man, though also fiercely aligned with revolutionary causes.
- David Caldwell was a real historical figure, known to have been a "preacher, teacher and physician, counsellor and guide for his friends and neighbors, servant of the people in many ways, state builder and protagonist of learning in the wilderness of North Carolina."
- ↑ The Fiery Cross, chapter 14. According to Mr. McAllister, at least. The historical record says that he attended the College of New Jersey, now Princeton University, from which he graduated in 1761.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The Fiery Cross, chapter 14.
- ↑ The Fiery Cross, chapter 62.
- ↑ A Breath of Snow and Ashes, chapter 57.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 A Breath of Snow and Ashes, chapter 83.
- ↑ Caldwell, David by Blackwell P. Robinson, 1979. NCPedia. Accessed 31 August 2019.