Boston is one of the oldest cities in the United States, and is the capital of Massachusetts. In the Outlander series, Boston is where Claire and Frank Randall move after her return to the present. Claire and Frank live in Boston for nearly twenty years, and raise their daughter Brianna there. After her mother's departure in 1968, Brianna continues to live in Boston until her own journey to the past in 1971. Years later, Brianna, Roger, Jem, and Mandy live in Boston while Mandy receives medical treatment.
Boston was settled in 1630 by Puritan settlers. It was the largest city in British America until the 1750s, when Philadelphia overtook it. Boston was the site of several key events of the Revolutionary War. In 1770, Boston was the site of the Boston Massacre, an event that heightened tensions between colonists and the British soldiers. Several years later, a group of protestors dumped tea into the Boston Harbor to protest British-imposed taxes.
During the Revolutionary War, Boston and its environs were the site of several key battles, including The Battle of Bunker Hill and the Battles of Lexington and Concord. Twentieth-century Boston is the capital of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and remains one of the largest metropolitan areas in the United States.
Locations within Boston
A prestigious private university in Cambridge, and Frank's place of work.
- Boston Common
- A large park in downtown Boston. Brianna uses it to test Jem's ability to communicate with Mandy.
- Furey Street House
- Church of St. Finbar
- The church near Claire and Frank's home on Furey Street. It's named for a 12th-century Irish bishop.
- St. Finbar's Parochial School
- The Catholic school Brianna attended in Boston. Their uniform consisted of blue jumpers and white blouses. It is associated with the Church of St. Finbar.
- Despite Boston's colonial connections and Claire and Brianna's personal history with 20th-century Boston, the city has not yet appeared as a setting in the eighteenth century.
- Glasgow is used to double for Boston in exterior shots.