At some point prior to December 1770 Alicia became intimately acquainted with Isaiah Morton a man from Granite Falls. Alicia fell in love with him, and ultimately became pregnant with his child. Her father, Lionel Brown, and uncle Richard did not approve of the match, and both men vowed to kill Isaiah. Unbeknownst to the Brown family, Isaiah already had a wife back in Granite Falls.
Events of the Novels
The Fiery Cross
In December 1770, while gathering more able bodied men for the militia, Roger MacKenzie, Fergus Fraser and the rest of the regiment head into Brownsville while Jamie and Claire Fraser go to the Beardsley's trading post.
Upon the arrival of the militia in the town, Lionel Brown and his brother Richard open fire in an attempt to kill Isaiah Morton who had dishonored Lionel's daughter Alicia. They miss their target and Morton runs off to hide. Roger and Fergus defuse the situation the best that they can. Alicia is hysterical and worried that they killed Isaiah, but is relieved to hear they did not.
When Jamie and Claire arrive in Brownsville, Alicia speaks with Claire asking her if she knows ways to perhaps terminate a pregnancy.
After word is received that the militia has been disbanded, Alicia and Isaiah run away together in the middle of the night to avoid being caught by Lionel and Richard.
In May 1771, Lionel and Richard are part of Jamie's company. During the Battle of Alamance, they set their sights on Morton, shooting him in the back. Thinking they killed him, they do not report in after the battle. However, Claire is able to save Morton's life. Alicia arrives, far along in her pregnancy, while Morton is recovering from his injuries.
A Breath of Snow and Ashes
|Note: This section is a stub. You can help Outlander Wiki by expanding it.|
Alicia is described as plain, round-jawed and pasty. She has narrow shoulders and broad hips.
- Alicia is the Latinized form of Alice, from the Old French name Aalis, a short form of Adelais, itself a short form of the Germanic name Adalheidis (see Adelaide) which was composed of the elements adal "noble" and heid "kind, sort, type".
- Brown is originally a nickname for a person who had brown hair or skin.
Actress Anna Burnett portrays Alicia Brown in the Outlander television adaptation.
- The Fiery Cross, chapter 31. Claire said she looked to be no older than 15 when comparing her to Juliet from the play Romeo and Juliet.
- Age as of the end of Written in My Own Heart's Blood.
- The Fiery Cross, chapter 31. Isaiah already is married, however elopes with Alicia. Their union would not be legal.
- The Fiery Cross, Chapter 28: Of the three women, no wife is mentioned, yet Alicia is his daughter. Chapter 31: Alicia confesses to Claire that her mother knows of her pregnancy.
- A Breath of Snow and Ashes, chapter 56.
- The Fiery Cross, chapter 31.
- Behind the name: Alicia - accessed 05 June 2016
- Behind the Name: Alice - accessed 05 June 2016
- Behind the Name: Adelaide - accessed 05 June 2016
- Behind the Name Surnames: Brown - accessed 05 June 2016